If you're interested in learning more about Maya Angelou, her interesting life and her beloved works, you can start at her official website: http://mayaangelou.com/. I recently bought this t-shirt showcasing her autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings from a little store downtown next to Maria's called 5# Apparel. Most of the proceeds the store nets are donated to charities around the world. You can also find the t-shirt and others featuring classic, challenged books (ones that have been put on banned books lists at one time or another) at http://outofprintclothing.com/. Click the "Shop" link to get to the t-shirts--the site donates a book to Books for Africa for every purchase made. I'd like to do some thinking next week about books that have made a difference to us as people and as writers, and I wonder if you've read any of these classics...
I love that several of you mentioned you "dream" of becoming professional writers. Leave a comment here telling us why you'd like/not like to be a professional writer and/or what kind of writing you see yourself doing. Stephenie Meyer said on Oprah that she always heard that was an unrealistic, financially hopeless goal, but I hope that no matter what anyone says, if that's your dream, you go for it. Seems like you'd regret not trying more than you'd regret taking a shot at it...
I would love to be a professional writer. I say that because it is one of the only things I can see my self doing (job-wise) for the next however-many years of my life. Also, I like to make myself think that I am good at putting my thoughts on paper (or keyboard).
ReplyDeleteI don't see myself as a professional writer because I ramble too much and I feel like I'm not "that" creative in my writing. Although I don't see myself as a writer, I do see myself getting inspired by writing and incorporating them in to my photography and art, which I already do!
ReplyDeleteI see myself as a Graphic Novel Artist, so in a way, I will be a writer in the future. I am absolutley inspired by books, I draw alot of my favorite characters:)
ReplyDelete