Friday, January 18, 2013

Don't quote me on that...

Dr. Evil PhotoWe often turn to the words of others for inspiration, guidance, or even just a good laugh. These words might come from favorite pieces of literature, song lyrics, a wise family member or friend, even movies or TV.

I would like you to add a quote (or two..) that means something to you or that you just like as a comment to this post today. Then add that same quote as a Text Gadget in the sidebar of your own blog.


A few quotes that I like:


"Love is the answer, at least to most of the questions in my heart." Jack Johnson



Your quote may be from a person you know or a person you don't. It may be funny or serious, thought-provoking or light-hearted. Just so it speaks to you. You might also want to jot your quote(s) down in your journal for something I hope we can do if the weather warms up in the near future.  You might find your quote formatted in a cool way on sites like Tumblr or Pinterest or even Google Images...



On the topic of "quotes," I'm adding a link here to a funny site that documents superfluous (extra, unnecessary) uses of quotation marks. Maybe it's only funny to me as an English teacher, but take a look: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/. Be on the lookout for unneeded quotation marks in your world...maybe you could send one in.

27 comments:

  1. The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
    -Thomas Paine

    That's my favorite quote of all time, because it perfectly reflects my values.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fall down seven times get up eight.
    it's a old Japanese Proverb i don't now how made the quote but i heard it from Steven Blum

    ReplyDelete
  3. “People fear because they imagine. Imagination is the power of all the emotions combined. People imagine things because they do not understand them. It’s more terrifying imagining a future that provides more pain. It’s not that people are not afraid to die. They are scared to imagine…death.”
    -Kishin Asura

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up."
    -James Baldwin
    that is a good quote to me :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Shroud-ing all the ground around me
    Is this holy crow above me.
    Black as holes within a memory
    And blue as our new second sun.
    I stick my hand into his shadow
    To pull the pieces from the sand.
    Which I attempt to reassemble
    To see just who I might have been.
    I do not recognize the vessel,
    But the eyes seem so familiar.
    Like phosphorescent desert buttons
    Singing one familiar song..."

    - TOOL

    This song seems to open a diferent world for me, where I can dream and draw and write and create...I adore it so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. also, from the same song:

    "we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These TOOL lyrics, written by Maynard for his dying mother, reduce me to tears every time...and also give me a lot to think about:

      Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance.
      Burden of proof tossed upon non-believers.
      You were my witness.
      My eyes, my evidence.
      Judith Marie, unconditional one.

      Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence.
      Difficult to see you in this light.
      Please forgive this bold suggestion
      Should you see your maker's face tonight.
      Look him in the eye
      Look him in the eye, and tell him.
      I never lived a lie, never took a life.
      But surely saved one, hallelujah.
      It's time for you to bring me home.

      Delete
    2. 10000 days, one of the songs i listen to everytime i'm trying to draw from within my true self. You have to be the coolest teacher ever, no doubt.

      Delete
    3. or wings for marie...not sure off the top of my head.

      Delete
    4. Wings Part 2? I'm not that cool...just exposed to a lot of Tool because my husband loves them so, just like you. :)

      Delete
  7. When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean.

    ~Lin-Chi

    It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
    ~Walt Disney

    If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
    ~Katharine Hepburn

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I've been dreaming of us leaving everything and everyone we've ever known.
    I've been thinking all these visions must be a sign, so hold on and don't let go."
    -Bring Me The Horizon

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Raise your words, not voice. It it rain that grows flowers, not thunder." -Rumi

    "The reason why people give up so fast is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they have gotten."

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." -Unknown

    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone." -Robin Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband noticed this quote a few weeks ago and brought it to my attention...such truth there.

      Delete
  11. "Better hurry. Your mom's yelling something."
    -Hobbes, from Calvin and Hobbes

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."

    -Dr. Seuss

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Grace Means that all of your mistakes now serve a purpose instead of serving shame."

    ReplyDelete

  15. " For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul."
    - Judy Garland

    " What we do in life echos in eternity" Marcus Aurelius

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Dont forget to fall inlove with yourself first"
    -Carrie Bradshaw

    I love myself before any other because, a wise person once told me that nobody loves you like you love you and at the end of the day, you are all you have. I still believe family is most important. But besides that who else is there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. If your going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.
    Marilyn Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know if I have a favorite quote... I rember the first paragraph of the Hobbit
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing to sit down on or to eat; it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.", does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Ooohhhh, Child ; Things Are Going To Get Easier ..
    Ooohhh, Child ; Things Will Get Brighter."
    -Tupac Amaru Shakur (R.I.P)

    I wouldnt exactly say that's my favorite quote. But it fits my everyday life. Going througha little more than the normal 17 year old. I have to remember .. It could ALWAYS get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails..."
    1st Corinthians 4-8. This is my favorite, because I know what love really is, and how amazing it would be to have that feeling. I think I might too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. " In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on.
    -Robert Frost

    ReplyDelete